Saturday 18 July 2015

Return of the mojo

My writing muse has strolled back into town - the bitch. She has been nowhere to be found for the best part of a year now (apparently having thrown a huge sulk at being set aside while I was doing publicity for my last two novels), but I rediscovered her in Munich last weekend.

She hasn't even offered an apology.


This is a Roman mosaic (200 CE) in the Glyptothek, Munich's ancient sculpture collection. It depicts the Wheel of the Year, which is also the subject of my Lover's Wheel quartet.  The woman lying down is Tellus, the Earth, whilst the standing gentleman is Aion, or Eternity. Their children are the four seasons - Spring (with flower garland), Summer (wheat). Autumn (fruit) and Winter (the one actually wearing some warm clothes). 

Since getting home I've written a powerpoint presentation for the upcoming Eroticon AND a chunk more of Falling Deep, which is part two of the LW quartet. I have a big plot-knot to unravel (that process will involve some loooooong showers and some poking about in the dark corners of Wikipedia) but once I know what's happening there I'll be in the homeward stretch.

I'm cautiously optimistic about my writing prospects in the foreseeable future, which believe me is more than I could have said in June :-)

Just as long as I don't scare that goddamn motherfucking bitch of a muse away...

3 comments:

Jo said...

I'm so glad to hear it. I reread Cover Him With Darkness last week and have been yearning for the next book since then.

Janine Ashbless said...

Hell yes Madeline, they are ;-)

Unknown said...

glad to hear your muse is back, and looking forward to seeing you at eroticon!